Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Shelf Construction

I would have liked to have used all recycled materials for this project. Short of raiding a construction site, however, I was unable to find sheets large enough to work for my uses. In stead of this idea, A trip to Jerry's introduced me to quite cheap sheets of particle board. The sheets were 4 feet by 8 feet, and two sheets gave me room for four large shelves, (I only needed three) and four small shelves. (again, only 3 were needed, leaving room for error.)
After the harrowing journey home in a small pickup, The only tools I needed were my blueprints, a straightedge, a marker, and this lovely jigsaw, which cuts through particle board like butter:
Consulting my cardboard cutout (see below) and my precise computer blueprints, I sketched out the edge of each shelf.
Cutting with the jigsaw was very easy, and very simple.
The excess wood seen here was used for cutting into square supports, in an effort to make use of every piece. (see above)
And here we see the cutout topshelf, ready to be smoothed and sanded!

No comments:

Post a Comment