Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Shelf Mounting

Once the shelves were transported to my home, I prepared to mount them to the wall by pre-screwing screws into all the cutout slats I had taken from the excess board I had. (see below) The tool I used for the small cuts was not perfect, so the pieces didn't turn out perfect. As I plan to paint these wall-colored, however, they should blend in nicely.
Carefully, I measured a spot where each slat should go up from the bottom. It ended up being a large amount for the bottom shelf, (to account for a bin I need to store under it,) and then 9 inches up for each shelf after that. (plus the half-inch of actual shelf.)
I used a stud finer for some of the mounts, but most are screwed directly into the drywall. If I planned on holding anything extremely heavy on the shelves, I'd insist on screwing into a stud, but this worked great.


The unpainted/unsanded shelves being mounted:
and the prototype for the finished product! Each large shelf has 8 mounts, and each small shelf has 5. One mount was placed on top to sandwich the shelves and to kill any chance of verticle movement. They turned out quite sturdy!

No comments:

Post a Comment